You're on assignment for National Geographic. How do you charge electronics while in the field? This is a problem that National Geographic explorers face every day.
YOUR CHALLENGE: Create a wearable or transportable way to generate 1 watt of electricity.
Watch the Introduction video to learn about the Engineering Exploration Challenge, and then watch the Animal-Proofing: Level 1 video to gear up for your assignment. Use the National Geographic Engineering Process to design, build, and test a solution to this Challenge.
You can also check out this video of a Google+ Hangout featuring students and their solutions to this and other challenges. Students discussed their work with National Geographic engineers and explorers.
For Further Exploration
- Out of Eden: How to Get Internet in the Desert
- National Geographic Explorers: J. Michael Fay
- National Geographic Kids: Interview With J. Michael Fay, Conservationist
- Switched on Kids: Electricity and How to Use it Safely
- National Grid: Electrical Safety World
- Alliant Energy Kids: Top 10 Rules for Electric Safety