Your students are on assignment for National Geographic. How do you charge electronics while in the field? This is a problem that National Geographic explorers face every day.
THE CHALLENGE: Create a wearable or transportable way to generate 1 watt of electricity.
Have students watch the Introduction video to learn about the Engineering Exploration Challenge, and then show the Animal-Proofing: Level 1 video briefing about the assignment. Guide students through the problem-solving process using the National Geographic Engineering Process. Students will design, build, and test a solution using this process. Use the Engineering Process workbook with younger students and the Engineering Process handout with older students. Use the provided Educator Guide for your personal reference.
You can also check out this video of a Google+ Hangout featuring students and their solutions to this and other challenges. Students discussed their work with National Geographic engineers and explorers.
For Further Exploration
- Out of Eden: How to Get Internet in the Desert
- National Geographic Explorers: J. Michael Fay
- National Geographic Kids: Interview With J. Michael Fay, Conservationist
- Switched on Kids: Electricity and How to Use it Safely
- Electrical Safety World: Experiment Tips
- National Grid: Electrical Safety World